Monday, February 4, 2013

this part of me

      I made this piece of the beginning of a relationship that became toxic. I wanted to represent things that brought us together but ironically the things in this picture tore us apart. it's nice to be able to have the time evolve my feelings of the peace.
       The headphones in the grass were supposed to for percent my and hers love of music.but now they represent the difference in our taste of music. She is in to oldies and hippie music. I'm into country and pop.you wouldn't think having two different tastes in music would tear up friendship but between us it did. She couldn't understand that just because I don't like something doesn't mean I hate it or cannot appreciate it.
      Normal written on the wrist of the girl in the piece. Normal is something different for the two of us. It's normal for me to make a joke and think nothing of it but for her she will take offense to it.For me it's normal to shower everyday but she can go a week before she needs a shower.
      There is a no smoking sign in the strap of the backpack.We are both straightedge. You left don't smoke, drink or do drugs but to be cool she tells her parents that she smokes weed. I have always believed that you should always be yourself and I think it's a shame that she has to say something like that to fit in.
      There is also a raindrop in the bottom corner.In the raindrop you can see the trees outside of ovalwood. This is to represent who she really is, a inverted and distorted image that she won't show to the world.
    The final and the most detrimental picture, in the piece ,to our relationship is the lens in her hair.When I first put the lens in this piece is really didn't have the meaning to me but now ironically it takes on a horrible meeting. We are both on the prom committee and our biggest argument to date is about either having a photo booth or a photographer at prom. I know it's kind of selfish but I really wanted to be the photographer and have it set up like a studio so I could have fun and shoot fun, laybacked and playful pictures. I guess when she thought of a photographer she was thinking more of something like school pictures, something very generic. Having the opportunity to do a photo shoot with everyone at prom is something I really want for prom. I know would be fun for everyone. So I shot down just about every time she brought up the idea of having a kiosks like Photo Booth for prom.I didn't mean for it to come off as controlling but I couldn't really see why having a photo booth would be better. In my mind it takes a lot of time, manpower, and money to get a photo booth in the game room of the union and it doesn't seem as fun to me. She really felt like I steamrolled her and everyone else on this conversation. Which was the final nail in the coffin for relationship.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. response to the assignment, Cody! I especially appreciate the subtlety of your manipulation…it is easily overlooked by the viewer, which may add to the concepts you are dealing with within the piece.

    ReplyDelete